Welcome


So, here I am, a 'Wandering Scientist'!
This wasn't really part of the plan if I'm honest.... When I was at school, and people asked what I wanted to do with my life, this would not have been the first thing on my list...... That said, neither would it have been the last thing on my list. At the time, I was not aware that there would be possibilities in the future to work in such a flexible way without having a "proper" job.
The purpose of this blog is to act as a vent for my frequent ramblings, to document the successes (and inevitable failures) of my progress starting out on this Freelancing adventure, and possibly to offer some insight to others who may be considering a similar non-conformist career path.

Thursday 2 January 2014

Scientific Adventures and Events of 2013: A Poetic Review!

At the start of 2013 I wrote a 'poetic review' of the previous year's highlights... now I've decided to make it an annual tradition! 

Having limited myself to one verse per month, there are several events which I had to miss out - Cheltenham Science Festival with the BBC was a highlight of 2013, as was my first corporate entertainment booking at Welbeck Abbey Brewery. Reaching 100 likes on the Facebook page was another milestone, and of course there were birthday parties, school visits, and the charity fundraiser when we celebrated a 'practice Christmas' in September!

It's been a cracker of a year, and 2014 promises to be even more special with several bookings already in the diary including my first gig as an entertainer at a wedding reception!

So, here it is, my edited highlights of 2013 in verse... Happy New Year!



The year started off with a poem,
A review of the twelve months just gone.
A record of all the places I’d been,
And all the fun science I’d done.

In February I learned new skills,
While improving my profile on-line.
With a STEM directories listing,
And an attempt at website design.

It was off to the Lincolnshire Showground
For a SoundLincs event in March,
While at college we did some dissection
Of a sheep’s lungs and heart.

In April, an opportunity
For my profile to be seen
By local schools and businesses
Thanks to Term Talk magazine.

May was manic at college
With coursework flooding in
As teaching sessions drew to a close
So the marking could begin.

In June I delivered some training
For teachers from primary schools
To prove science can be creative,
And that painting with plants is cool.
 
July brought us festival season.
The first “Funny as Folk” was a hit!
I entertained hundreds of people
With my science busking kit.

More CBBC fun in August
The Edinburgh fringe was the best!
Doing lots of exciting new demo’s
With Fran, John, Nate and the rest.

September saw a massive change.
My college days were done.
No more Biology lecturing.
A new phase had begun.
 
October was busy with Pumpkin Days
And an Expo for Molly’sGuide
And a visit to my old sixth form
To inspire about jobs that I’d tried.

Lots of trips to Theddlethorpe sand dunes
Meant November was a blast.
The kids learned all about plants and bugs,
And the folklore of the past.

So here’s to the end of another year,
One that’s been packed full of fun.
Let’s hope for more science and wonder
On our next orbit round the Sun!


No comments:

Post a Comment