Welcome


So, here I am, a 'Wandering Scientist'!
This wasn't really part of the plan if I'm honest.... When I was at school, and people asked what I wanted to do with my life, this would not have been the first thing on my list...... That said, neither would it have been the last thing on my list. At the time, I was not aware that there would be possibilities in the future to work in such a flexible way without having a "proper" job.
The purpose of this blog is to act as a vent for my frequent ramblings, to document the successes (and inevitable failures) of my progress starting out on this Freelancing adventure, and possibly to offer some insight to others who may be considering a similar non-conformist career path.

Friday 12 October 2012

As a Busy Summer Turns Into a Busy Autumn…


Wow! I’ve only just realised that I haven’t posted anything since mid-July… It’s been a busy few months!

The road along which my freelancing adventure has taken me has had several twists and turns and, as I expected, has not been anything near the route I expected!

When I left full time paid employment I made sure that, despite my dissatisfaction with my job, I left on good terms with my colleagues. It was my good relationship with these wonderful people which led to me having the opportunity to work with the BBC’s Bang GoesThe Theory team, and it was also the reason for my incredibly busy summer.

I was contacted out of the blue by a former colleague to ask if I could help them out with a project. They needed someone who had the appropriate experience and CRB checks to assist on a residential course working with young people from across Lincolnshire as part of the National Citizen Service. They wanted me to start that very day… and so my relaxing summer break, along with my free time for writing and being creative, evaporated before my eyes!

I spent a week staying in the student accommodation at the University of Lincoln with several hundred teenagers, 12 of whom became ‘my’ group to work with for the next 3 weeks undertaking a social action project in the market town of Boston, Lincolnshire. I may have been nominally the group leader, but the young people made their own choices about what they wanted to do and how they wanted to contribute to their local community. They decided that they would like to help out a local charity, The Boston Woods Trust.



We met some wonderfully dedicated people who were extremely supportive and encouraging to the young people, helping them to gain new skills and confidence and giving them the chance to work with people of different ages and backgrounds as equals.
We weeded, uprooting tons of Ragwort.
We mulched, helping young trees to grow.
We dug trenches and laid slabs, helping in the construction of a ‘compass’ in ‘Jenny’s Wood’.
We all learned a great deal.
Some of the young ‘men’ in the group learned that running through a patch of waist high nettles bare chested as a show of ‘manliness’ can be very uncomfortable! Maybe… hopefully… one day, they will realise what it takes to really be a man!

Almost as soon as my adventures in Boston were over, it was back to work as a part time lecturer at Lincoln College, with hugely increased hours compared to last year. Not only am I teching GCSE Science, and Biology as part of the Access to Higher Education for Health Care Practitioners (Access HE HCP) course, but I have also been asked to teach Maths… Aaaarrrggghh!! (Oops, Sorry!!).
That was my initial reaction though…

I have to say that I’m actually really enjoying teaching Maths. The course that I’ve been charged with teaching is ‘Maths for Nursing’, which means that all of the Mathematical principles which I have to cover have practical applications, and aren’t the really scary kind of Maths (I dropped A-Level Maths after a term!). Having worked as a research scientist for several years I understand what it’s like to have to use Maths. Thankfully, I have always been pretty confident when it comes to the basics, thanks to a great start from my parents and some really good teachers when I got to school, so making the jump to any actual application of the Maths seems fairly logical for me.

The feedback from my Maths students so far has been encouragingly positive. I think they appreciate the fact that I’ve openly admitted that Maths isn’t what I chose to do… It’s something that I see as a ‘necessary evil’ if you will, but I equally make sure that I put across the message that it isn’t something to be scared of. It is, in fact, something that all of my students use every day, even if they don’t realise it. Sometimes it really is a case of fear of the unknown, and once you point out that, actually, these are all simple mathematical things that they do know, everything falls into place!

More busy times are ahead with long days lecturing at College, several bookings through Dr D’s ScienceDays, and some GCSE exam marking coming up in November… When you’re a freelancer you have to take the work as and when it’s available… 

No comments:

Post a Comment